Commercial - Select Data Centres
- Select Data Centre Facilities has centres located across the UK
- This data centre is a 10,000 sq. ft. facility that requires a sustainable design
- Competitive quotations achieved for all utility disconnections required on site
- Competitive quotations achieved for all the utility diversions required on site
- 3 MVA load connection
- 1 MVA generation connection (with export)
- Gas and water connections
Since deregulation of the utility monopolies, we all thought that things were going to get much easier and we would all benefit...how wrong we were...the utilities have since become wise to the market conditions they now face and continue to try every which way they can to claim as much money as they can from us and take what seems an ever increasing time to respond; delaying our projects and causing us hassle and complications we don’t need.
With UCML behind us, we are ever confident that the utilities always get slapped into line and we get the best possible result available to us, without having to divert our own time and attention to the minefield of regulations and rhetoric that appears to get ever more complex year on year.Stephen Leahy, CEO
Generation - Kingspan Manufacturing Plant - Greenfields
Connection and fitting of 350kW of Photovoltaic Generation onto the roof of factory buildings to reduce net electricity demand for the site.
- Initial Survey of existing DNO to Customer interface including characteristics of exiting connection
- Assessed current connection agreement and energy supply agreements to ensure agreements would not affect the connection of generation and to assess whether existing metering would be suitable
- Provide advice on timeframes required for connection allowing the feasibility of the project to be assessed
- Interpreted provided load characteristics data to help to identify what works may be required to customer plant to ensure correct protection to both customer and DNO network
- Made formal application to Distribution Network Operator for connection including G59 application
- Ensured that the connection requirement was correctly interpreted by DNO through liaison with designing engineer and ensuring quotation was provided within statutory timescales
Full assessment of timescales and expected costs resulted in the client being able accurately assess whether connection was likely before Government reduction in feed in tariffs resulting in more accurate project costs and programme.
Industrial - Hespin Wood
- A Mechanical Biological Treatment (MBT) plant, for processing up to 75,000 tonnes of residual waste per year
- The development included 2 weighbridges a 2 storey administration building and recycling storage building
- Electricity connection was taken at 11kV, but this was dependent on major reinforcement of the local 33kV network
- Assisted with completion of the wayleave and easements, which included a 3rd party landowner
- Due to the timescales of the 33kV reinforcement works going beyond the contract period, UCML successfully negotiated with the DNO to enable the connection to be completed and given partial load prior to the completion of the reinforcement works
- Successfully challenged the water POC with United Utilities, this resulted in a revised POC which provided a major saving in the civil works by reducing the length of the service by over 75%
UCML achieved significant savings on this development in the region of £0.6 Million.
Regeneration - Neptune - Wolverhampton Interchange
- Major regeneration and infrastructure project within Wolverhampton City Centre for Neptune Developments
- A new bus and train station will be built to create an efficient transport system
- New office, leisure, residential and commercial development
- Following receipt of objections to stopping up orders, UCML engaged with major utility providers to devise a strategy to mitigate legal and diversionary requirements originally stated by the Network Operators
- Liaised with structural and civil engineering consultants to ensure that their proposed designs did not impede on major utility networks
- Submission and management of over 50 NRSWA enquiries
- Commercial and technical review of diversion proposals and advise the client of any contingencies that should be accounted for
- Monitoring of expenditure and cash flow to ensure that the scheme was within budget
UCML achieved significant savings on this development in the region of £0.9 million.
Residential - Anwyl - Boundary Lane
A development of 90 Brand New 3 & 4 Bedroom Homes and 1 & 2 Bedroom Apartments.
In terms of disconnections, connections, diversions etc.
- This development was to be located on a Brownfield site that consisted of multiple Industrial and Commercial units. This attributed to difficult disconnection works as the site had been an industrial site for 200 years
- Due to our vast knowledge and expertise in the utility markets we were able to solve the issues surrounding the disconnections and procured a number of competitive connections
- There was also a major issue regarding ownership of sub-station land, however due to clever liaising with utility providers and Independent Connection Providers a possible major cost implication was avoided
Significant costs were saved on this development due to avoiding costs connected with the ownership of the sub-station land.
Housing Associations - LHT - Woodlands Walk, Runcorn
This project involved the demolition of 209 apartments to facilitate a new development of social housing for Liverpool Housing Trust.
- To ensure that the Main Contractor could demolish the existing properties within the programme constraints, UCML arranged all disconnections to be undertaken as far away from the properties as was practicable so the maximum number of properties were taken off supply with a single isolation
- Extensive diversions were required for all utilities including the retention of a High Voltage substation which was integral to an existing block of flats
With the procurement of the diversion quotations and through negotiations UCML were able to make LHT a saving of approximately £200,000.